Thursday, July 3, 2008

A Balanced Life?

Nothing strikes me more than the word Balance. It is a word you will find in every philosophical, spiritual, professional, natural or scientific topic that man loves to discuss. Philosophers say, "Live your life in moderation." Chinese teachers discuss the Yin and Yang. Science says, "For every action, there is a counter reaction." Others put it bluntly and so sacredly, "The balance of nature." This has even become a profession. Yup, I know you've heard of people who so confusingly use the words Debit and Credit. You're right. They are called Accountants. And I am one of them. Good thing I am now retired. (I opted for an early retirement plan. I am now something else.)

There's that story of a mother telling her daughter to marry an accountant because he sure knows how to live a balanced life. "What made you so sure, Mum?" asked the daughter. Mum replied without blinking an eye, "My dear, accountants can't leave their work until they have balanced all the figures!"

But don't be surprised to marry an accountant who doesn't even know how to balance a checkbook. There's legions out there.

There's just something I would like you to know about accountants. They are the most flexible people on earth. Here's the comparison: If you ask a mathematician or a physicist the question, "Four plus four?", both will give you an "Eight" as the answer. But ask an accountant the same question and he will ask, "What would you like it to be?" No wonder accountants are the best tax consultants in the planet.

2 comments:

Uncle Jack said...

I like how you depict a way of living in equilibrium, harmonious in all sort of a way. Living as it is as the saying goes "work hard and play hard". I hope this is also true to the rabbles of our country.

I bet you are well adored by your mother-in-law! Good two cents.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Jack.

We should work hard and smart.