Monday, June 30, 2008

Pacman Day

At exactly six o’clock in the morning today, I was greeted with a text from Mhon, my admin assistant informing me that they have just reached the port of Calapan Oriental Mindoro. He and Harry, our surveyor, left Renaissance Center at 3:00AM and headed south to Panay Island to deliver the relief goods to our co-employees based in Region VI who were devastated by typhoon Frank. The relief goods, composed of canned goods, used clothes, noodles and other packed food, were the voluntary contributions of our co-employees at the head office.

Mhon took heart of my instruction to update me every now and then of their voyage. It is his first time to travel by RORO (Roll-on Roll-off) ship, aside from the fact that typhoons usually hit the country mostly during the months of June to July. But what would be most memorable about this trip is that this is the day when Manny Pacquiao carves out his piece of history to become the only Asian boxer to hold world titles in four different divisions.

As I was just relying on the delayed telecast, I was patiently waiting for the main event, the Pacquiao-Diaz Lethal Combination. While the under card fights were also exciting, nothing could contain my excitement and anticipation of Pacquiao’s bout. Then came the text from Mhon at around 11:00am – Diaz was knocked out in the 10th round! Although I was expecting a win, nothing was sweeter than hearing the fact. I ran outside and joined my neighbors in jubilant celebration. As I was sharing Pacquiao’s 10th round victory, they all corrected me that it was the 9th round. (Mhon later rectified his text saying the knock down happened in the 9th round.)

David Diaz made a gallant stand, but Pacquiao’s speed and power from both hands are too much for him. The match saw a different Pacquiao. He has transformed from a street brawler into a complete tactical fighter. With amazing flair and grace, he achieved what no Asian boxer has done – four championship belts in four different divisons! From around the globe, I’m sure Pacquiao’s legions of fans have increased tremendously. Count Happy, my wife, in. She is now a certified Pacman fan. As Romy Nathanielz puts it, Pacman makes you proud to be a Filipino.

Mabuhay and Pilipino, Mabuhay and Pilipinas!

2 comments:

Ryan Tutanez said...

i really agree with how you felt Mr.Famero though i'm not an avid fan of Manny i'm still interested to watch his every bout coz i really van't wait to see how his opponent will knock him out hahaha!!!
i'm willing to lose in every bet but i will always be his number 2 critic.
i pity all the mexicans he has defeated but i know that his time fall will soon to come hahaha!!!

Unknown said...

Sayang yong panalo ko sayo. Anyway, make ready your bet when Valero faces up with Pacquiao this October 2008.