Friday, June 27, 2008

My Life is Funny

I started writing feature stories when I was a second year high school student. I was always serious then in my themes. Maybe I thought writing should always be serious. I had no idea yet of writing formats and style. But having a father whose sense of humor flows to the brim, I have been exposed to jokes that he himself contorted or was it copied or heard from I-don’t-know-where. My Dad has a canny ability of converting any dry or tense situation into something relaxed, fun-filled and warm occasion. He is one of those persons who can do a mockery of the powerful, the respected and the not-so-respected-but-feared individuals in our place and get away with it. Unconsciously, I was immersed in a training that I would only discover I have been trained with later in my adult life. Since then, I have been less active in writing but I have been more comfortable telling stories, especially funny stories.

I have discovered that life is funny. Yes, because life is a story. You can write it the way you want it. I would very well agree with Thomas D. Willhite when he said that a person’s future is formed by the thoughts he holds most often in his mind. A person’s life is what he thinks it is at the moment. Life is defined by how you react on a given situation and how you perceive the situation to be. I cannot forget the story told by the father of Frank Avignale in the movie Catch Me If You Can. The story tells of two little mice that fell on a bucket of milk. The first mouse struggled by swimming a little bit but soon gave up and drowned – and died immediately. The second mouse struggled so hard, paddled in circles and turned the milk into cheese – and eventually pulled himself out of the bucket.

Funny is not being carefree and aimless. Funny is a state of mind, very much like being positive and happy. My Dad is a happy person – he chose to be one. And I thank him for the training that I got from him – telling funny stories. That is why I am funny – I chose to be one.

6 comments:

d'elf said...

I find it Ironic that you're funny and you are in the memorial park business my friend. He he he... Well, maybe the dying could use a joke or two before they go. But keep on being funny ... the world needs many of your tribe in these times of uncertainty.

Unknown said...

Thanks a lot my friend!

Anonymous said...

hello bro... wow! you really are now a writer. i could still remember the extra curricular award you got when we graduated hi-school... BEST IN ENGLISH COMPOSITION if memory doesn't fail me. congratulations! how i wish i could do so but you raised the BAR a little higher.

congratulations too on your accomplishment... AVP for Admin... higher position comes greater responsibility but with the talent that GOD has given you, you can make it... blessings on you!

Ester E. Famero said...

Dear Hon,
Congratulations for all your written stories not only in this blog but also those you have written in every heart of individuals you have encountered with from all walks of life. You are a certified writer and a joker, si ce up to the last moment of your life, you are still joking. It is only now that I realized that maybe you are doing it so to divert our attention , not to focus on your suffering on the sickness but on the purpose of your existence.

It iss really hard to adjust since you are the source of laughter in the house. You are not only the source of fun but the source of strength, courage, hope and positivity. You are also our living Mr. Google, when we are doubtful of anything under the sun, you can define,cite example vividly with accurate dates,place and specifc persons just like a genius historian. You always amaze us! But one time you said, " are you sure all the facts that I am citing are correct?" Oh that really makes you a real and "witty' joker!

We are really missing you, your stories and jokes a lot!

Cocoy said...

I read this again last week.

Allen Irene said...

Sir Bar is really funny without even trying to. He is known for his innate sense of humor and quick wit. He is also the best boss...mentor..and friend!

He is truly missed and will always be remembered...