Monday, April 5, 2010

The Best Things in Life are Free Gifts

"Count your blessings!"

Many times I've heard these words of encouragement from family members and friends but never did I literally count my blessings. Maybe because I am fond of estimates and averages and that I always thought that my blessings will always outweigh or outnumber my problems. Lately though, I said to myself to give it a try. I started counting my blessings. At first it was difficult, not because I have too many or too few blessings but because I did not know how to identify them. I didn't know where to start!

Start counting my blessings...

Then I decided to begin with the people nearest to me. And as I was already lying in bed at that time, I saw Happy, my wife, right beside me. I can tell she was in deep sleep by the sound of her breathing. Her hair hang loosely and her right hand still clasping the calculator. She is a certified workaholic and she has given me two children - a girl and a boy. My wife and my two children... I haven't even gone far and I think I can stop counting. My family, my most precious treasure.

Continue counting my blessings...

Then I thought of my parents. I can say they are not the greatest of parents but certainly the best ones that the heavens have sent to serve my limited needs and requirements. They loved me and worked hard to give me something no money can buy - good Christian values and education - things no thief can steal. My siblings - Ate Vajz, my two years senior, and the younger ones - Andrew, Nono, Sugar and Prince - all gave me unforgetable experiences that contributed greatly for what I am today. I quietly ran down the images of those happy moments when we were together and those when we were seas apart. It was just amazing how it made me happy and motivated.

More blessings...

My job, my co-employees, my colleagues, my boss, my fellow officers, the homeowners, the guards, the maintenance men, the park personnel, the park engineers, the customers, the contractors, the suppliers, my friends, the coop, the couples... the list is long (in my mind) and I haven't even listed them yet till this blog. And I'm afraid I may not be able to list everyone.

The intangibles...

Ms. Cathy, Engr. Adonis, Engr. JB and Ms. Del never forget to say "Thank you." in all their text messages. You hear them say these words and you feel blessed. When you think about blessings and your thoughts are trained to identify the blessing and you look at someone, you would surely measure up quantitatively the things that you have. One thing's sure though ... you can't count enough.

I am blessed more than I can imagine. I'll just keep on counting my blessings.

No comments: